This is an area where prevention is better than cure. If you suspect that someone (usually the other parent) intends to remove children from Australia without your consent you should obtain legal advice immediately. These are several methods by which urgent action can be taken. These are:

  • To obtain an Injunction to restrain a person from removing children;
  • Cause passports to be surrendered; or
  • Place the names of the children upon the Australian Airport Watch List with the Federal Police.

If children are removed from Australia it can be difficult, but not impossible to recover them. Some countries have signed and ratified international Conventions allowing Applications to be made to the “Central Authorities” in the particular country. Time is important however, and the longer a child is in a foreign country and settled, the more difficult the recovery can be. In these circumstances you should obtain legal advice urgently.

See Also: Divorce Solicitors Brisbane, Family Lawyers Brisbane